There is a growing number of citrus-based solvents on the market. The key ingredient, D-Limonene, also known as orange oil, the solvent extracted from

orange peel is more powerful than mineral spirits. Solvents can be made from natural sources such as turpentine and the citrus solvents (d-limonene), but most are derived from petroleum or other synthetic sources.

How do solvents affect us?

There are no "safe" solvents. All solvents, natural or synthetic, are toxic. In general, solvents can irritate and damage the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract,

cause a narcotic effect on the nervous system, and damage internal organs such as the liver and kidneys. These kinds of damage can be acute (from single heavy exposures) or chronic (from repeated low dose exposures over months or years).

Skin contact

Natural solvents such as turpentine and limonene are known to cause skin allergies. 

The eyes and respiratory tract

All solvent vapours can irritate and damage the sensitive membranes of the eyes, nose, and throat. Inhaled deeply, solvent vapours also can damage lungs. Liquid solvents splashed in the eyes can cause eye damage.

The nervous system

All solvents can affect the brain or central nervous system (CNS) causing "narcosis." Immediate symptoms of CNS effects may include dizziness, irritability, headaches, fatigue, and nausea.

Years of chronic exposure to solvents can cause permanent CNS damage resulting in memory loss, apathy, depression, insomnia, and other psychological problems which are hard to distinguish from problems caused by everyday living.

Download Facts Sheet